IRCTC Launches SMS based Mobile Bookings
Railway e-ticket now on mobile
- IRCTC introduces for the first time a non-internet based ticketing system that will empower masses even in remote areas to use the omnipresent mobile device to make reservations.
- Millions of rail travellers can now use their mobile phones to book tickets in a simple, convenient and secured manner.
- It uses simple SMS or menu-based USSD technology which works on all mobile phones and involves no internet and costs very little.
- The services can be currently availed by IRCTC registered users only.
Advantages of booking IRCTC tickets via mobile
- No need to stand in long queues or log onto the internet.
- Simple, reliable and secured.
- Accessible to any mobile user.
- Very little charges for accessing the service.
- Works on all handsets.
- Simple user guided menu – book tickets, search for stations, trains, availability.
1. USSD based booking through Airtel*
- Register for Airtel money by dialing USSD (Unstructured Supplementary Services Data) number *400#.
- Load cash on this or recharge from any Airtel money outlet.
- Dial *400# and select book tickets option.
- Select Reservation.
- Enter your IRCTC User ID.
- Enter the details of ticket (station, train no. date of journey, class etc.).
- Enter mPIN for authorizing payment through Airtel money.
- Booking confirmation SMS is sent by IRCTC and same can be used during journey along with valid ID proof..
- Fare & service charges are debited from your Airtel money account.
- PG Charges: Currently NIL
- Agent Service Charges: Currently NIL
- Helpline No.: 121
- Helpline Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
2. SMS based booking through 139*
- Register your mobile number with IRCTC as well as with your bank.
- Bank provides MMID (Mobile Money Identifier) & OTP (One Time Password) through IMPS (Immediate Payment Service) option.
- More than 25 banks are providing IMPS facility. For generating MMID & OTP, visit website: http://www.npci.org.in/impsmerpay10.aspx.)
- Generate OTP through your Bank for authorization of payment.
- Send SMS, in the following syntax, to 139 BOOK <TrainNo><FromStn.Code><ToStn.Code> <TravelDate (DDMM)><Class><Passenger-Name><Age><M/F>
- You will receive Transaction ID alongwith other details.
- Make payment through sending an SMS, in the following syntax, to 139 PAY <Transaction ID as received><IMPS><Your MMID as received from the bank><OTP, your one time password as received from the bank for this transaction><IRCTCUserID> and your ticket is booked; confirmation SMS is received on your mobile and same can be used during journey along with valid ID proof.
- Service is available to all mobile subscribers.
- SMSes @ Rs 3/- per SMS (2 SMSes are required for each booking).
- PG charges Rs 5/- for ticket amount < Rs 5000/ and Rs 10/- for ticket amount >= Rs 5000/- (as applicable by bank).
- Agent Service Charges: NIL
- Helpline No.: 139
4. SMS based booking through BSNL*
User should have the following:
- 1. BSNL SIM card installed.
- 2. Java enabled mobile phone.
- 3. Andhra Bank Prepaid card.
- This is a menu driven application where user has to enter the details asked for in simple step-by-step process to get the ticket.
- Install the application.
- Select the Register option to get the mPIN.
- Click the icon BSNL Prepaid Card
- Select Ticketing > Train (IRCTC)
- Fill up the journey details such as From stn, To Stn, Train No, DOJ, Class, Quota, passenger details.
- Enter the mPIN to get the ticket information.
- SMSes: without charges.
- PG Charges: Currently NIL
- Agent Service Charges: As applicable.